Be it a warm shower early on a winter morning or a cold one after an intense day of work on a Summer evening – showers never disappoint. They give us the physical and cerebral boost we need to feel fresh, re-energised, and reinvigorated. However, little do we know that every time we step into the shower, we run a risk of flooding the entire bathroom.
Overflowing water inside the shower can ruin bathrooms for weeks. No one wants to spoil their bathroom accessories because of overflooding. That’s why custom shower screens Sydney are so popular. Shower screens ensure our bathrooms stay free of risks like overflooding while looking as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Don’t have a clue about these shower screens? Don’t worry – here’s a detailed guide –
What are Shower Screens?
Bath shower screens are panels made of glass that prevent flooding inside the bathroom. Bathrooms that have combined bath and shower arrangements tend to suffer from overflooding the most. In the past, shower curtains were deemed adequate enough to protect the showers from external influences. However, privacy isn’t the only thing people need when they’re showering. The latest custom shower screens Sydney not only offer privacy, but they’re also easier to maintain than shower curtains that get dirty very easily.
Typically, shower screens are attached to the walls using a hinge-type mechanism. They can vary in thickness, design, and style. Essentially, you’ll be completely sealing off your shower space with these fixed structures. While taking a hot shower, all the steam and warmth will stay inside your shower space, providing you with superb warmth and comfort!
How are Custom Shower Screens Different?
Custom shower screens are much different to pre-installed or pre-manufactured shower door kits.
- Each glass piece is custom-designed based on your shower area’s dimensions.
- Your ‘shower enclosure’ can be customised to accommodate structural oddities. For instance, if your shower has an unusual semi-circular design, you can get customised shower screens that perfectly suit this design.
- Glass experts will help you get the finest customised shower screens. They’ll help you choose the perfect glass, hardware, design, etc. While shopping for pre-manufactured shower screens, you can’t expect such assistance.
- The best sellers of custom shower screens Sydney have an extensive collection of glass and hardware choices. Mix and match from these options to get the look that you desire.
Unlike pre-manufactured shower screens, custom glass screens need to be installed by professional glass hardware experts. Hence, the scope of error is minimal.
While getting custom shower screens, homeowners have to shoulder a lot of responsibilities. That’s why they must – Explore Everything About Glass Shower Screens Before Buying One.
The Need to Take Measurements and Create Floor Plans
Right, getting custom glass shower screens i
sn’t easy, and if you want one, you need to start taking measurements of your bathroom as quickly as possible.
- The space needed for your custom shower screen will correspond to the size of your general shower area (shower tray).
- The number of sides your shower tray has will also impact the size of your custom shower screen. For instance, a shower enclosed on two sides will require a different type of shower screen than a shower enclosed on three sides.
- Measure along every side of the shower tray.
- Pay attention to the minutest dimensions. For shower walls that aren’t vertical, your installer will make some minor alterations during installation.
- Measuring the enclosure space’s height is equally important, especially for shower trays that have low ceilings.
The more accurate these measurements, the more perfect your shower screens will fit.
Different Types of Screens
While shopping for custom shower screens Sydney, you’ll have to pick from different types of screens –
- Single Panel Shower Screens – Made of a single pane of glass, these shower screens usually come with hinged doors. Single panel screens are easy to maintain as there are hardly any nooks or crannies inviting muck or residue to build-up in. These screens are ideal for bathrooms with a minimalistic design, especially if you opt for frameless designs.
- Double Panel Shower Screens – Double panel shower screens typically have a hinge at their centres, meaning they can be opened in two or more ways. Large bathrooms or bathrooms that have large or super-long bathtubs can get additional ‘splash protection’ with double panel shower screens.
- Foldable Shower Screens – Push or fold these shower screens into narrow forms, when not using them. They’re ideal for small bathroom spaces where having a fixed pane of glass 24×7 isn’t practical.
Read Where Can You Install the Custom Shower Screens? – to know more about the application of these different types of shower screens.
What Material Should I Choose?
Glass is the most-used material in shower screens. However, the type of glass you choose will determine the shower screens’ longevity. You don’t want your shower screen to break or shatter into a thousand pieces if it accidentally hits your elbow while showering! The thicker and heavier the glass, the likelier it is to last longer. That’s why tempered glass is the preferred option. Shower screens made of tempered glass offer these advantages –
- They’re transparent and give your shower spaces a sense of space.
- They can be printed for decorative purposes.
- You can get frosted or opaque tempered glasses if you want more privacy.
The next best material option for shower screens is acrylic which is inexpensive and lightweight.
How Thick Should the Glass Be?
Anything thinner than 3/8” and 1/2” shower glass screens is unsafe. Most shower screens that you’ll find in the market will be 3/8” thick. If needed, you can increase your glass’s thickness by half an inch.
Maintaining the Shower Screens
Shower screens don’t need much maintenance. Ask your seller to provide shower screens with easy-clean coating layers. These layers are easy to wipe down after every shower. To make your shower screens look “brand-new” for long periods, you should –
- Prevent limescale by giving the surface a quick wipe after every shower.
- Use household cleaning agents like white vinegar and lemon juice to get amazing results.
- Only use chemical-free cleaning products that are specially manufactured for limescale removal.
- Pick glasses that are anti-water marks.
As long as you ensure your shower screen is constructed from top-quality and hardened tempered glass, your shower screens will last for years!